From the creator of the popular What’s the Difference? Newsletter, a whimsical and practical reference for food nerds and novices alike, covering dozens of culinary topics, that clears up confusion over similar terms, techniques, dishes, and more.
Do you know the difference between sweet potatoes and yams? Bourbon and rye? Crumbles, cobblers, and crisps? Most people don’t, even a number of home cooks—which is why they turn to Brette Warshaw. Inspired by her hit newsletter What’s the Difference?, this irreverent yet informative reference makes clear the differences between things that are often confused in the kitchen, on the plate, behind the bar, and everywhere in between.
Featuring 70 percent new material and favorite entries from her website, What’s the Difference? covers more than 100 culinary topics, including:
- All-purpose flour vs. bread flour vs. pastry flour
- Bacon vs. Pancetta vs. Speck vs. Pork Belly
- Creme Fraiche vs. Sour Cream
- Jams vs. Jellys vs. Preserves
- Broccolini vs broccoli vs broccoli rabe
- Caramel vs butterscotch vs dulce de leche vs cajeta
What’s the Difference? is essential for anyone who wants to feel more confident in the kitchen and at the table.