Getting an accurate diagnosis is the first step toward reclaiming your life from bipolar disorder. But if you or someone you love is struggling with the frantic highs and crushing lows of this illness, there are still many hurdles to surmount at home, at work, and in daily life. You need current information and practical problem-solving advice you can count on. You've come to the right place. In The Bipolar Disorder Survival Guide, you will learn:
- How you can distinguish between early warning signs of bipolar mood swings and normal ups and downs
- What medications are available, and what their side effects are
- What you should do when you find yourself escalating into mania or descending into depression
- How you can tell your coworkers about your illness without endangering your career
- How you can provide constructive help and support to a loved one with bipolar disorder
Trusted authority Dr. David J. Miklowitz offers straight talk, true stories, and proven strategies that can help you achieve greater balance and free yourself from out-of-control moods. The updated second edition of this bestselling guide has the latest facts on medications and therapy, an expanded discussion of parenting issues for bipolar adults, and a new chapter, "For Women Only."