Share a video about what your bookstore means to you and receive a FREE audiobook.Learn more
Man of the House
A Young Boy’s Journey to Becoming the Man of the House After His Grandfather’s Death
Narrated by Glenn Bulthuis / 33 minutes
After his mother goes deaf, a young boy must navigate through the many difficulties of his childhood. The boy witnesses his Mom deal with loss, his father becoming distant, his older brother living a life of his own. The protagonist feels alone, powerless, voiceless. At the same time, the boy tries to impress the girl of his dreams at school, leading him into a troublesome situation. He must make choices which could affect him for the rest of his life. Through it all, he must figure out how to endure and grow, how to become the man of the house.
• See how the protagonist deals with the struggling relationship between his mother and father.
• How to deal with the struggles of puberty and coming of age.
• Impressing your crush at school and the holes this can trap you in.
• Navigating through a house filled with tension while also trying to take control.
• Understand what it’s like to live with someone who has experienced recent trauma.
• Read about the importance of a mother-son relationship and how the bond between parent and child can grow.
The story is fictional, but tells true experiences of the author. It is a personal story that speaks to what growing up is really like for many young boys, and how they look to their parents or siblings for guidance. This story tells what can go wrong when that guidance is not there, but also the powerful bond between mother and son.
About the Writer
Alex Eaker grew up in the cold suburbs of Connecticut. At five years old, his parents got a divorce, putting Alex on an early path towards writing. Ever since, Alex has written about his experience as a son and younger brother, operating between his mother and fathers’ homes while also enduring the universal struggles of adolescence. His stories serve to share his experience, an experience not uncommon in today’s world.
Short Story Press publishes short stories written by everyday writers.
Gift audiobook memberships
You pick the duration—1, 3, 6, or 12 months—they pick the audiobooks. Buying gifts from your local bookstore has never been so easy.Start gifting