A United Nations insider exposes how anti-American and antidemocratic forces have hijacked the UN and put America and its allies at risk
Politicians and pundits are imploring the United States to give the UN a major role in American foreign policy. But as bestselling author Dore Gold reveals in Tower of Babble, it is absurd to look to the UN to fight aggression, combat terrorism, and preserve global order. The UN is an abject failure—a fatally flawed organization that has actually accelerated and spread global chaos. And it is dominated by anti-Western forces, dictatorships, state sponsors of terrorism, and America’s worst enemies.
In his New York Times bestseller Hatred’s Kingdom, Gold blew the lid off Saudi support for terrorism, and now he uncovers an even more important story. As a former UN ambassador, he has a unique insider’s perspective on why the UN fails to address—or in many cases exacerbates—the very problems it was created to solve. He shows how President Franklin Roosevelt’s great vision has been corrupted beyond recognition.
Using internal UN documents and classified cables, Gold presents stark evidence of how the UN ignores mass murder, emboldens terrorists, props up dictators, and otherwise betrays its mission to protect the world’s security. Tower of Babble reveals:
• Why America can—and indeed must—go outside the UN to address the most serious threats to national security
• How the UN jeopardizes the success of the war on terror—and how terrorist groups have actually penetrated UN organizations
• How, in the space of a year, the UN turned a blind eye to two horrifying episodes of mass murder—and why the slaughters could have been prevented
• How the oil-for-food scandal only hints at the UN’s repeated failures to deal with Saddam Hussein’s Iraq
• How the UN’s new international criminal court threatens America’s sovereignty
• How the UN’s startling record of failure has led Presidents Truman, Kennedy, Johnson, Clinton, and George W. Bush to bypass the UN Security Council
As this hard-hitting book reveals, it is, quite simply, a myth that the United Nations is a positive force for world order or the “sole source of international legitimacy.” And unless the United States and its allies recognize this now, they will continue to put themselves at risk.
"Dore Gold's book is informed and informative. It can be read with pleasure and profit by anyone with a genuine interest in the United Nations. I warmly recommend it."--Jeane J. Kirkpatrick, former Ambassador to the United Nations
"For anyone wondering what's wrong with the United Nations, this is the book to read. Providing both a concise history and an urgent warning for our own time, Dore Gold in clear and lively detail explains how and why the UN too often promotes not peace, but problems--and what we can do about it."--Claudia Rosett, columnist, the Wall Street Journal's Opinionjournal.com
"Dore Gold's Tower of Babble is bound to be one of the most controversial critiques in the public debate on the UN."--Henry Kissinger, Former Secretary of State